Berlin City Nissan, one of the leading Maine auto repair centers, would like to share a few tips on how you make your car, truck or SUV run better and last longer.
You must prepare for potential vehicular problems, and not only keep a good Car Emergency Kit; you must practice preventative maintenance on your vehicle to prolong the life of it.
It's important to follow your vehicle's specific maintenance schedule. The following information is generic and would apply to any vehicle. Performing your own maintenance can be rewarding and a lot cheaper than paying for it. If you do see a problem, consult with a mechanic at your Nissan auto repair Portland Maine facility, Berlin City Nissan.
Here is a list of items you should check each month. Set aside a couple hours once a month to go over each item to make sure the basics are working properly.
1. Check the Engine & Ground for Fluid Leaks
2. Test Heater & Air Conditioning
3. Check Wiper Blades (Make sure the blades are in good shape, and function properly)
4. Check Headlights (High Beam & Low Beam)
5. Check Fog or Driving Lights
6. Check Turn Signals (Front & Back)
7. Check Hazard Lights (Front & Back)
8. Test Door Locks on All Doors
9. Inspect Windshield for Chips or Cracks
10. Test each Window (If Power Windows Check Each Switch)
11. Test Door Locks (If Power Locks Check Each Switch)
12. Check Radio & Make Sure Each Speaker Plays
13. Test Horn
14. Verify that you have your proper information in the glove box and the information is up to date (Proof of Insurance & Registration)
If you need to replace any of these items, you can stop by Berlin City Nissan in Portland and purchase Portland Maine auto parts from our well-stocked parts department.
Every 3,000 miles or 90 days you want to perform these tasks:
1. Change Engine Oil & Filter
2. Check All Engine Fluids (Coolant, Power Steering Fluid, Brake Fluid, Windshield Washer Fluid, Transmission Fluid)
3. Check Tire Pressure & Tire Tread
4. Check All Belts for Cracks or Fraying
5. Check All Hoses for Leaks or Bulges
6. Lubricate Grease Fittings (Where Applicable)
Even if you have no idea about how to work on a car these tasks are simple and can be performed in your driveway. By doing this you WILL prolong the life of your vehicle and help to ensure that these problems don't pop up when you're on the road. If any one of these things that you check are not functioning properly it is time to fix it yourself, or take it to someone you trust to fix it.
We know that a lot of people out there enjoy doing maintenance on their own vehicle, but if you ever run into a problem you can't tackle on your own, we are here for you. Feel free to stop by one of the most knowledgeable dealerships specializing in auto repair Portland Maine has to offer, Berlin City Nissan, and ask any of our experienced technicians any question you want.